Configuration details – These are somethings you would want to do sooner then later.
Here I will go over everything I do when I first install a new Ubuntu server. I believe it is beneficial to follow these steps:
- Updating to the current Repositories.
- Installing openssh client & server.
- Statically setting your IP Address.
- Manually setting DNS (Unless you would rather use your ISP’s or what you have defined on your Router)
- Using free a managed DNS service so you don’t have to remember that IP Address! (I Recommend dyn)
- Using IP tables to secure both incoming and outgoing traffic on your server.